Wealden District Council in East Sussex has alleged it discovered court documents showing the Ministry of Defence and Home Office agreed to allow an asylum seeker camp to remain operational until 2030, despite public assurances the facility would close within 12 months. the camp , located at a former Army training site in Crowborough, began housing up to 600 single male migrants in January and has sparked weekly protests from residents.

The 12-month promise versus the 2030 timeline

According to the council's statement on Wednesday, government officials repeatedly told Wealden District Council the camp would operate temporarily—no longer than a year.. Yet the documents the council claims to have uncovered in court papers tell a different story. As the council stated, the papers reveal "two government departments have agreed between themselves to allow the camp the option to remain open until 2030," a span of nearly a decade. This discrepancy has become the focal point of local anger and the council's push for transparency.

The gap between the public timeline and the alleged private agreement raises questions about how local authorities and residents were informed—or deliberately kept uninformed. Councillors said they had "repeatedly sought clarification from the Home Office about the long-term future of the camp, but had been left in the dark since day one," according to the report. the revelation suggests a deliberate withholding of information from the local government body responsible for managing the district.

Crowborough's weekly protests and cost-recoupment theory

Since the first asylum seekers arrived in January, Crowborough residents have organized weekly protests against the camp's presence. The local backlash reflects broader tensions in British communities hosting asylum accommodation, but the newly alleged 2030 extension has intensified frustration. Councillor Michael Lunn offered one explanation for why the government might extend the camp's lifespan : cost recovery. According to the report,Lunn claimed the Home Office was extending operations to recoup costs, which he asserted were four times higher than housing migrants in hotels.

If Lunn's assertion holds weight, it suggests the government may have calculated that operating the Crowborough camp for nearly a decade could offset its initial investment, even if it meant contradicting public statements. This economic rationale, if accurate, would represent a significant shift from the temporary-measure framing officials presented to the public and local authorities.

What remains unverified and who has not responded

The council's claims rest on documents it says it uncovered in court papers, but neither the Ministry of Defence nor the Home Office has publicly confirmed or denied the existence of such an agreement or its terms.. The report does not indicate whether the council has formally shared these documents with media outlets or whether independent verification of the 2030 timeline has occurred. Additionally , the specific nature of the "option to remain open until 2030" is unclear—whether this represents a binding commitment, a contingency plan, or something else entirely remains unspecified. The Home Office's silence on the council's allegations, as reported, leaves the core claim unverified by the government bodies allegedly party to the agreement.